Kristin and Joel get back to their ranty roots, starting with Kristin’s conference experiences. As the caffeine kicks in, they cover content, team roles, and delight. Joel tells Kristin what a “Content Strategist” really is. Kristin is shocked and realizes she’s been living in a dream world.
- Joel misidentifies Joe Pullizi’s Content Marketing Institute. He is very sorry.
- Kristin raves about her In Control Conference experience.
- We admit that we save companies we like the price of click through and punish companies we don’t by clicking their ads.
- We rant about Louis Rosenfeld’s rant that (paraphrased) “agencies must die.”
- Joel references One Direction, to the delight and wonder of Kristin who is too old to have ever heard of them.
- Joel promises (with his fingers crossed) to go to Web Visions Portland.
- Kristin turns Joel on to designing for delight.
- Kristin talks about preparing for her Refresh listicle presentation for April.
- Kristin promises to publish her conference-going advice…
6 7 step guide to attending conferences:
- Go with intention
- Go to the after-hours events and meet everyone
- Go alone if you tend to stick to your co-workers/friends
- Write notes on paper and don’t touch internet-enabled devices during the talks
- I prefer smaller, single-track conferences
- Go to a mix of talks – technical, inspiration, high level, process-oriented, etc. Perhaps even something outside your profession if it’s a large one.
- Make a conference buddy (not your co-worker, silly. Someone new) early on to pal around with.